6′, 200 lbs of straight man-child is what I am. Half Black, Half Puerto Rican and I’m a fitness fanatic. And, not just in the gym, but across the board in my thinking and my behaviors.
There’s so much conversation about fitness today regarding eating, supplements and sleeping patterns etc. I am frequently asked what I do to exercise, eat and any general health routines I follow. I am not about to make any recommendations or tell you what you should do because I believe, and I do want to stress, in the importance of your individual life and chemical makeup. So full Disclaimer: The following is what I do, that works for me individually and may not be right for you. I am not a dietician or personal trainer and none of what I write about should be taken as medical advice or recommendations.
I, for example have an overactive thyroid gland that borders on HyperThyroidism. Your thyroid regulates your metabolism, which determines how fast and effective your body breaks down food in your digestive system. What hyperthyroidism means for me is that I can pretty much eat whatever, whenever (hate me, I know) because I will process it at an accelerated rate. With that said I still take pride in a healthy-ER diet however, I have no problem crushing a double cheeseburger with everything at 12 Midnight and then passing out.
My actual lifestyle acts as my work out in many ways as I am constantly moving for work and I’m an active, busy person in general. I get about 5-1/2 to 6hrs each night which works well for me. I do change up the bulk of my exercise/fitness routine quite frequently, but I did want to include what my typical exercise week has looked like for the past few months.
Morning: KJ 20 Min AM Routine
Evening: Street Feet(Cardio), Body Pump(Cardio Build)
Evening: Gym (Build) – I always do a strength workout, usually upper body
Morning: KJ 20 Min AM Routine
Basketball with the fellas (Cardio)
Morning: 90 Min Bikram Yoga (Core)
Evening: Gym (Build) – I always do a strength workout, usually upper body
Morning: KJ Morning Routine Redux – Repeat 5x
100 Push ups
30 Pull ups
30 Chin ups
Fitness is such an important part of my life and one of my deepest passions that I’d like to start sharing more about my active lifestyle and different work outs or healthy living details that I try out or adopt. Please let me know if you have any questions in the meantime and maybe I can create a post with that information!
As always thanks for reading and spread the word #MakeFitnessFun #MakeMoves
I recently was having a conversation with my friend Sami and we were talking about careers/life choices, etc and ended up thinking about where we’d be if we made very different choices. I asked her where she thought I’d be if I never got into entertainment and it was HILARIOUS what she came up with. I asked her if she’d mind writing it up as a guest post of sorts for me to share with all of you and I think she had a little too much fun coming up with it. This is what she wrote:
Hi Everybody! This was a lot of fun for me, thank you all for reading. And, thank you Kup for letting me participate on your blog! When Kupah asked if I’d mind writing what I was trying to say, I started thinking about some specific questions… Where would he be? What would he be doing? Not focusing so much on how other people would be impacted, but how would he?
If Kupah James never found entertainment I think he’d still be living an all-around successful and fun life. You can change a career, but you can’t change who a person is and what makes them who they are. Kupah is outgoing, loud, positive, ambitious, creative and active with an entrepreneurial spirit. He would have to be doing multiple things and working with people as much as possible.
I picture him in a corporate/office setting wearing a suit (suspenders over the shoulders) because he’s in a leadership or management position. Having studied sociology and criminal justice and previously working at a D.A.s office, I imagine he’d be doing something law oriented to help people or project-manage for a cause/company that helped people. That could be in a government/ public service way, or more legally/advocate based.
I imagine he would still be doing fitness and Klass with Kupah. But, he’d be going to the gym more and teaching more fitness classes (sadly, not Street Feet) than he does now. Depending on his actual day job, he’d be trying to start a foundation or open a gym. He’d be using business connections to network and find capital for these ventures.
I think he’d be in a committed relationship, living with his girlfriend, but, unsettled and feeling slightly unfulfilled. I think he’d be pursuing so many projects, jobs and hobbies to fill those voids and not know what was missing. He’d travel for work or to meet a potential investor and then get the travel bug. At that point I think he’d be trying to see as much as possible throughout the year and look into the real estate game; which would lead him to go for his realtor’s license and open up that market in the city of Boston.
I think we’d still find Kupah always on the go, always talking to people, making connections, trying to catch the next wave and forward thinking about projects and jobs. It just would be in different circles, different industries and be different activities and hobbies. I think his personal life would be different and we would find him more in the financial district or Back Bay during Happy Hour than at the latest nightclubs during the Midnight Hour.
Kupah James: Tamed-
Kupah #2 is less of an outwardly force of nature. Obviously you can’t remove someone’s love of music and creativity, but, not being the lifeblood of his day, what would that look like on Kupah #2 where movement, music and that specific type of creative element isn’t at the fore front? Now, Kupah has a hard time focusing too much on administrative type tasks/routine tasks. But, what if you have that creativity and fast-paced mind without the “muscle memory” of channeling it outward?
I think we’d have an outwardly reserved Kupah (crazy I know!) who wrote constantly and was glued to a computer for work. He’d write books and weekly columns and have a blog he updated 2-3x a day. This Kupah would work from home, be self-made and entrepreneurial but, in a completely different way.
But, this Kupah would be a dad and married. He’d be the stay at home parent, with a business minded wife. He’d take his wife on exciting vacations and plan elaborate date nights. He’d treat her like the queen she would be and be attentive and romantic. Think date nights and heartfelt cards, foot massages, etc LOL. He would still remain active, going to the gym regularly but now, instead of teaching fitness classes, he’d coach all of his kids’ sports teams and charm all the other moms and teachers at their schools. On a different personal note, he’d have his guys’ days with his friends at more local spots and spend his holidays at home instead of a gig!
This Kupah is still outgoing, still has his natural charm and people skills, and still has his focus and ambition. He’d be creative in his work and in his relationships but his social circle would be smaller in person, but larger to the masses through media. This Kupah would reach more people internationally/nationally through his writing.
Secret Agent Kupah:
This Kupah is the dream. This is the Kupah that our Kupah intended on being when he entered college and began his pursuits of sociology and criminal justice. This Kupah’s life is full of unending excitement (not always positive.) This is a Kupah who may have another undetermined name altogether. This would be James Cooper, FBI Agent.
This Kupah channels his talents and knowledge both physically and at a computer. He hates the reports he has to type up, the memos, the meetings that he’s not leading and reading all of the suspect profiles. He answers to somebody, multiple somebodies, but leads a team and makes more life-changing decisions in the field than he ever could in another profession. He’d use his charm and personality to have the best solve rate, hands down. Who better to gather information, back suspects into a corner conversationally and get a confession or at least real information from someone’s mom or girlfriend?
Physically he would work out constantly and be active in his daily work activities. He would be amassing all kinds of connections and networking to use as sources, aides, and to have the hook ups as he travels around for a case. Personally, he’d have few meaningful relationships outside of his partner, family and childhood friends.
This Kupah would maximize all of his strengths and passions, but would toe the line with censoring his comments and actions as he’d hate having to answer to someone and have that accountability to a superior. Think Mike Lowery FBI agent. He wouldn’t have as many projects and hobbies, but his career would, arguably, be one giant one. He’d travel and mingle and dance and be loud and make as big a difference. But, his difference wouldn’t be as well-known (keeping government secrets and all.)
I’d LOVE to hear your thoughts on this one LOL!! Which Kupah do you like the best? PLEASE share, tweet, like, subscribe….
It’s tough to ONLY think of 10 things that can be done for a new year. I don’t always think of a New Year’s resolution because anyone who knows me knows that I tend to wear my goals on my sleeve. With that said, I thought a lot about what I could do to be a better person and I was able to come up with a list far too long for any blog, so unfortunately, I’m only going to stick with 10! Sorry to disappoint! Below you will find 10 things I’m looking forward to working on in the New Year. Enjoy and please share some of your own too!
10) Read More; every time I have ever read anything I found myself learning something and I’m looking forward to learning more and broadening my horizons in literature.
9) Travel! With a little bit of planning I would like to get outside my comfort zone and see more of the world starting with my own neighboring states! With friends and family in Chicago, L.A, Miami, Delaware, Atlanta, NH & Texas I want to see all that they have to offer!
8. Money – No, no, not to make more, but learning how to use money, understand money, speak money, the list goes on. It’s been said that just about 2% of the population contain almost 90% of the Money! Why is that? Well I’m not an analyst but I do know some know how to use their earnings to make more earnings while some use their earnings to buy things they didn’t earn!
7) Get more organized! I can’t speak for anyone else but I’ll probably be working on this in every list! Lol. Becoming more organized has only given me the ability to be more productive and efficient. Therefore, it isn’t rocket science to think that continuing my organizing skills is necessary for greater success.
6) Friends, as previously stated in a FB post earlier this week. The company we keep is a representation of who we are (not to mention the most influential factor in how we behave.) I have won some and lost others. What remains is a young man taking a closer look at how I decide and who to surround myself with at all times. The drama setters, hypochondriacs, enablers, liars, jealous (aka haters) are all over the place. I’ll fight through the sea of nonsense and discover the true friends I have and allow them to help make me a better person.
5) Art of Silence; let’s start that one now buy letting YOU interpret it how you see fit. Sometimes remaining Silent is all you need to say.
4) Kupah goes to Boston. I’m moving to the city folks, ears and eyes open. If you know of any neighborhoods let me know. I’m finally moving into the City I have repped for so long; I can’t wait and I’m already excited!
3) Family – I’ve matured to understand family is first and I want to spend as much time as I can with my own! I have a sister and a mother, a barrage of cousins, aunts, uncles and so on. I will make more time to see them because one day it will be game over and there are no do-overs in the game of life.
2) Positivity, it has been mentioned by a small few that my energy and presence is infectious. I plan on trying to continue that trend and if ever possible spread more positivity throughout the land. Every smile counts! Trust me, every smile counts to someone!
1) MakeMoves; as the official creator of the dopest phrase out there, I’m saying MakeMoves is the universal phrase and can be used for thousands of reasons and purposes! For me, it simply acts as the conduit for my motivation. No parts or assembly required just MakeMoves! I intend on continuing the movement by expanding Klass Universal Entertainment and fulfilling all of the above. 2013 is here ladies and gentlemen… MAKEMOVES!